Every now and then, it smacks me in the face like it happened yesterday, or six months ago. Today, is one of those days. Fathers Day is around the corner and in all my preparations I came to realize three things.
One, I have a wonderful husband who knows what I need, how to love and take care of me. He's the man that I want to grow old with, travel with, fish with, and watch movies with. (plus, he makes the BEST popcorn). Second, I am blessed with a great Father-in-law. He has never treated me like anything other than his daughter. I can cry, I can hug, I can laugh and joke around him. He hasn't replaced my Dad, but he has made me feel like I still have someone I can turn to that is like a dad. Third, my Dad is my hero and will never be forgotten. He suffered quietly as he lost his dignity. Lost his ability to do the things that he loved. Lost his ability to fix the sprinklers, tinker in the garage, fix things around the house and garden. I always knew that he loved me because he told me so. I knew that he did all he could to prepare things so we would be taken care of when he was gone. I know that he loves my Mom. I believe that he is still there, watching over her. He is my Hero, the man I measure every other man up to, the man I can't wait to have meet my husband, and see hug my children.
I thought that it would get easier the older that I get. It hasn't. If anything it's almost gotten harder. It wasn't a big deal to not have him there when I left for Prom. He wouldn't have approved of my date. It wasn't a big deal to not have him at graduation, I was happy to be out of highschool. It wasn't even as big of a deal that I thought it would be when I got married. He wasn't physically there, but I could feel him around me and in my heart. As things go on, I grow older, more milestones happen in my family I miss him even more. I am blessed to have a father-in-law that I can call dad. I am blessed that he loves my little girl and takes her with him where ever he goes when they're together. I am blessed with a little girl who loves her papa. I just wish that she knew she has two papas. I wonder if she ever feels him there watching over her. Or if she recognizes him in pictures from before she was born. I hope that Daddy knows I am happy. I hope he knows that I miss him and the little way he played with his tongue when he was fixing things. The best thing my Daddy ever did for me, was marry my Mom in the Temple. We are an Eternal Family. He told me he would miss me. He told me he loved me. He told me he would watch over me. I can't wait until I can look him in the eye and tell him I love him too, and get the best hug a little girl could ever have. A little girl always needs her Daddy.
So here's to you Dad. My hero. xoxo

No comments:
Post a Comment